1. Loving others does need to start with loving ourselves.
2. Our relationship with ourselves is the most important relationship we have.
3. By going through pain and surviving, we become examples to the world that they’re not alone, that they can overcome, they can do better, and get better.
4. No matter the question, love is always the answer. Forgiveness is freeing.
5. Wear your scars proud my friend, for you can do anything.
6. The story we tell ourselves about our life can only define us if we define ourselves by this story.
7. It can be scary to look at what scares us. But this is the only way to look fear in the face and tell it to F off. It’s hard work, but it makes the rest of our life so much easier.
8. You might not see any progress for a long time. But then, suddenly out of nowhere, you’ll notice how far you’ve truly come. Be patient and enjoy the journey.
9. A work of art is never finished. Neither are you.
10. Don’t carry the weight of the world on your shoulders. Only this moment at this time.
11. Although we live in a world that praises hard work, we must remember the immense value in pausing, taking a step back, and gaining some perspective and wisdom.
12. The start of acceptance is the start of looking closely at what we don’t want to see, what we don’t like, and what we have a hard time accepting, because that’s what needs to be accepted most.
13. Try not to carry all your ambitions and goals on your shoulders right now. Even dreams can become burdens that weigh us down. We can’t survive every moment all at once, but we can survive this moment. And this one.
14. Many of us are too afraid to think we can achieve big dreams, so we don’t even start. Fear of failure is the most debilitating fear there is because it almost guarantees failure. And it’s a near guarantee that we won’t even start and try.
15. Let everything in life be your motivation. Let that voice in your head that says you’ll fail inspire, motivate and encourage you. Relish in the challenges that made other people quit, and then keep going.
16. By seeing reality as it truly is, which is to see the interconnected oneness of all things, we reduce our judgment of other people for what they do, and we stop judging ourselves so harshly too, because we are all one looking back at ourself.
17. In a fleeting, impermanent, constantly changing universe, true happiness can never come from anything outside of us. It can only come from within.
We will never figure out what makes us truly happy in life if we do not first know ourselves. Discovering our true nature is the key to understanding ourselves, our species, and our place in the universe. In my new book, Finding Your True Self: A Love Story, take the journey within. It’s the most important journey any of us can take. Now available on Amazon in ebook and paperback.